Sussex County Championships
4th February 2018
Changes to the format of County Championships (August 2017)
At the recent national meeting of regional licensing officers changes to the format of county
championship regulations were agreed for immediate introduction. It is hoped that these changes
will bring clarity to the guidelines set out in the National Competition Pathway.
If Sussex did not to follow these regulations we would not be able to license the Championships.
The changes that affect Sussex are:
1. Senior Championships (16yrs +) will replace the Open Championships.
2. Junior Championship will be aged 15yrs & under.
3. Introduction of heats and finals for 50m and 100m events in every age group (10/11, 12, 13,
14, 15 years & 16/over).
To accommodate these changes in our County Championships:
• Open Championship finals will be discontinued and be replaced by Senior Championships
• The winner of the 16/over finals will become the Senior Champion.
• The Junior champion will be the overall fastest swimmer from the 10/11, 12, 13, 14 or 15
• All 200m, 400m, 800m & 1500m events will be heat declared and follow the Junior/Senior
Championship age format.
• All events will have age group medals for 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 & 18yrs +. These will
be awarded for swim times in HDW events. Where finals are swum the awards will come
from the results in the finals.
• Results from the relay competition will not be included in the ‘club points’ competition in the
- The relay gala will be a stand alone event with it’s own points competition and trophy.
- The relay gala age groups will remain as 10/11yrs, 12/13yrs, junior and open (to change
them we believe would have a significant impact on clubs’ ability to pull together teams).
• Age qualification date for all county galas will remain as 31st December in the year of
• County records will continue to be recorded as age on the day of the swim.
Venue: K2 Crawley
Dates: Sun 4th Feb (long distance events), Sat 10th/Sun 11th Feb, Sat 24th/Sun 25th Feb
- Age as at 31st December 2018
- 50m, 100m & 200m events, & 400m Free - 10yrs+
- 400m IM, 800m, 1500m events - 12yrs+
Entry Fee: £5 per event (TBC) plus the one-time £3 Contribution to Coaches Passes
Entry Times: Times submitted must be equal to or faster than the qualifying times specified and must have been achieved at licensed meets swum since 1st March 2017. This does not include times achieved from Time Trials or from the Sussex League galas.
ELIGIBILITY REPORT (including times gained at the Winter Regionals and the Dorking Meet over the weekend of 4th/5th November)
The Closing date is 22nd January, NOT 29th January as specified on the Programme of Events
Closing date for entries: 22nd January 2018